Friday, May 16, 2014

Blog Posts

I feel like the trend of blog-reading has substantially spiked in the past year. The majority of the blog posts have a couple of criteria.

For starters, blogs drawing readers in with excellent link bait. I remember one that was literally titled "Why Jesus Wants Me to Get a Divorce in 2014." This "divorce" he was referring to was breaking off his obsession with social media and his cell phone (which is, BY-THE-WAY, a misuse of the definition of "divorce," but whatever...).

Secondly, wordy, brutish display of opinions. Some of these people just have different opinions just to cause mayhem (cough, cough, Matt Walsh.)

Thirdly, clear display of whether the writer leans left or right. But you don't just get to lean your way- no, that's not confrontational enough. Everybody likes a little bit of drama. You gotta lean your way hard and bash the other side while you're doing it!

"Not only am I supporting feminism, but all you women who want to be stay-at-home moms are BRAIN-WASHED by the patriarch! You poor things aren't even thinking for yourselves!!!"

"The Noah movie was SO biblically incorrect, I will now forever boycott anything by that producer, company, or including those actors."

WELL, what if someone just wants to be a stay-at-mom because that's simply what they want? And honestly, is everything you watch biblically correct, or do you just watch Bible movies and Veggie Tales?

Anyway. I was a blog-reader. Even though, if I disagreed, the posts would just get me worked up, and if I agreed, the comments against the writer would get me worked up. There was no winning, unless my side won by bashing the other side's views with a WELL-WORDED. CAPITALIZED. ARGUMENT. Finally, I got so fed up I decided to stop letting the link bait reel me in. I scrolled right past the multitude of re-posted arguments on Facebook and Twitter. If people sent me blog posts and asked me to read them, I'd have to tell them that I was not really reading blog posts anymore.

Sure. I probably sounded like an old lady who just couldn't handle "kids these days." But if that's what kept me from constantly exposing myself to conflict, argument, and warring opinions, then that's what I wanted to do. How could I not expect myself to be touchy, overly-opinionated, and hostile after constantly reading that stuff?

Now. I know what you're thinking. She's honestly writing a blog post about not reading blog posts. I get it. Woe Is Me is my vent page though; I get to write about whatever I freakin' want. Also, check out my other posts. I'm sure a couple of them meet the previously-listed criteria for an argumentative, link-baited, share-worthy blog post. I seriously have one titled something like "Blinkers: an Opportunity for Great Joy," so yeah, I too am guilty of it too.

I'm not blameless; I'm just blabbing, because that's what I do. And I think that'll be my new blog catch-phrase. Because in the end, we just want to draw people in, become famous, and have our brilliant, innovative opinions (which usually aren't innovative at all) to become honored nationwide.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I mean, how could you just say all of those things and not take into consideration the people who find controversy fun. To me, there is nothing like reading a strongly apposing argument and then taking it to the analytical "wood shed." It's fun. It's like stepping into a ring with some Walter Weight boxer who thinks he's the next Ali. If you don't let his blatant cockiness infuriate you then you can just wear him out for the next couple of rounds or unleash the K.O. right off the bat. Either way you make him look like (in the words of Mr.T) a foo. See people who don't like controversy will only know as much as they do now. You have to sail the seas to learn how to navigate the storms.

    I'm just messing with you. I think what you have to say is wonderful! keep up the good work Ms. Woe is Me. I can't wait to see more posts.

    Your first commentator,
    J.A.

    ReplyDelete